Resolution Ticker

Monday, April 28, 2008

Share the sence of wonder.

There are those who live in families who are not very in-tune with nature. They are raised half blind, not seeing the wildness and wonder around them because they have been taught that such things are insignificant. Raised like that, you just don't know how to look and observe. When the closest they get to nature is a round up sprayed back patio its like a life half lived and incomplete.
My neighors 10 year old son reminds me a lot of my little brother (now in the NAVY) and with his mother's permission I am taking him hiking and showing him what I know and have learned as a forester and from my own studies and observations of the woods, fields, marshes, and streams. Nathan is 10 and he's excited about his first hike, next weekend. He's seen pictures in my house of the trails Mr. Hyper and I hike. I've taught him about the 10 essentials and told him to bring a note book and pen so that he can keep a journal of what he learns. I've showed him the beaver dam in his own back yard and a robin's nest with 3 pretty eggs within that was in easy view of his back patio he'd not noticed. There is a spark there. I can see it. The boy is realizing there is more to life then he ever dreamed about. He's begging me to take him backpacking. I told him latter, after we do some day hiking and it's warmer--His mom, a good friend of ours, is OK with it all--
I'd like to give a kid an opportunity I never had growing up. I never even KNEW backpacking existed until I was 17 or 18! But when I realized there was such a thing I knew that's what I wanted to do. The older boy doesn't show much interest at all, he likes golf and school and that's about all. And the girl is far too young for hiking (not yet 2 years old) so Nathan will go hiking with us. I challenge everyone out there to take a kid hiking :) Just don't forget the ten essentials!

No comments: