Resolution Ticker

Monday, January 28, 2008

Thanks, Charlie.

31*, feels like 22*, 78% humidity, S 10 mph wind, fair

I met a new friend this morning, early. His name is Charlie. Charlie Horse. I'm sure someone out there must know him. He came over unannounced and uninvited but made himself known real fast. I had to shout and jump out of bed to handle the surprise visitor. But that's OK, because I'm not usually up before that magical time right before sunrise that I enjoy so much but just can't seem to wake up for anymore.

Yes, I really am a morning person. Morning is my favorite time of day but since I get home latish from work, I tend to sleep in or I wouldn't get near enough hours of sleep every night. So, having been rudely awakened, I couldn't get back to sleep, I decided to go for a walk instead to enjoy the morning.

The first thing I noticed when I headed out was that the air temperature was notably more mild then it has been for a while. And had there been no wind, I wouldn't of needed hat and gloves to keep comfortable. The snow was soft, not crunchy and hard.

I walked through the neighborhood to the bike rail-trail and walked along the county line to Hobart section which heads south and is quite short, I think around a mile tops. I walk through the snow, past the baptist church and the corn field behind it, past a big red barn, lots of those oaks that hold onto brown leaves all winter, and snow covered marshes. I came to a spot that seemed very pretty this morning. there is a creek that runs through a marshy spot which the trail looks down over through the trees. Everything but the moving water was covered in snow with grassy snow island clumps dotting the middle of the stream. There were about a dozen ducks swimming around in circles, quacking and chatting to one another as the golden glow of the sunrise reflected off the water. It was quite a sight, and of course I had decided not to bring my camera along with me this time thinking that there wouldn't be anything worth taking pictures of. So I stood there, leaning against the railing along the trail, absorbing it all in until the golden glow faded off the water. I called it a morning and tuned around, walking back home the way I had come.

No comments: